Background and purpose of the establishment of International Classes at Semarang State University is as follows.
- In line with Unnes’ vision that is to become an internationally reputed university, Unnes needs to develop a model lecture using the international curriculum.
- Implementing an international cooperation with Unnes’ partners often gets hampered by the absence of international classes. Foreign teachers cannot teach in Unnes and foreign students cannot learn in Unnes. Dual degree or credit transfer with foreign universities gets obstructed because the curriculum documents are stated in a foreign language.
- English language mastery of Unnes’ lecturers and students is relatively low and needs stimulants to communicate in the English language, therefore, International Class is initiated to motivate.
Scopes of the International Classes
- International Class is formed specifically as a study program that uses international curriculum and the English language during its teaching and learning process.
- International Class is open for outstanding Indonesian students and eligible international students.
- International Class is a follow-up of Curriculum Development Program by the IDB project with the loan number IND-152. In this program, ten programs are selected and required to open pioneer international classes in 2016. Ten of the study programs are:
- Public Health, S1 (Faculty of Sport Sciences),
- Social Science Education, S2 (Graduate Program),
- Chemical Engineering, S1 (Faculty of Engineering),
- Sports Education, S3 (Postgraduate Program)
- Mathematics Education, S1 (Faculty of Mathematics and Science),
- Law Studies, S1 (Faculty of Law)
- Javanese Literature, S1 (Faculty of Languages and Arts),
- Geography studies, S1 (Faculty of Social Science),
- Economics Development, S1 (Faculty of Economics), and
- Early Childhood Education (PG-ECD), S1 (Faculty of Social Sciences).
Main Features of the International Classes
- In the process of learning and teaching in the International Class, English is used.
- Media used in the classroom are in English.
- Indonesian students who may join the International Class are selected students who have high academic ability and a TOEFL score not less than 500 or have passed the English test held by Unnes.
- International students, who are to join in the International Class, must have a TOEFL score not less than 500, or are native speakers of English, or have passed the English language test conducted by UNNES.
- The teachers of International Class are Unnes lecturers who have a skill to teach in a bilingual class and have an international CLIL certificate (or equivalent), or have mastered English with TOEFL score not less than 550 (or equivalent).
- The curriculum used in the International Class is contained with KKNI and international-standard curriculum. For ten pioneer study programs, curriculum documents used are those developed by the Curriculum Development Consultant (CDC) Unnes through the IDB loan program IND-152.
- Ten pioneer study programs are required to have an international class fully implemented, not later than the odd semester of 2016.
Local Student Recruitment for International Class
- During the student admission of Unnes in 2016, students accepted through SNMPTN, SBMPTN, and Seleksi Mandiri must have been announced.
- All students accepted in International Class are subjected to take a TOEFL test through the facilitation of ICT Department. Cost of the test is paid by the university for the first year of admission.
- 20 students with high TOEFL score are admitted to International Class that begins in the first semester.
- Students who are already selected as the participants of International Class will be continuously joining the class unless (a) the GPA value is less than 2.5 and/or (b) violate the academic rules.
- Students continue to pay the financial administration in accordance with their respective capabilities. Financial administration of International Class in this year and in the next year will be different.
International Student Recruitment
- In the odd and even semester of 2015/2016 academic year, Unnes conducts promotions over the opening of ten study programs in International Class by sending an official letter to Unnes’ abroad partners. The letter contains registration bid and study programs’ list opened. Letters are also sent to the embassy in the partner country to be distributed to secondary schools partnering with the embassy.
- The international office enhances Unnes SPMA’s website and adds menus as well as information about the opening of International Class.
- The entire admission process and study/residence permit process for Unnes foreign students are coordinated by the international office in accordance with Rector’s rules.
- Different from regular classes, foreign students are not required to take Bahasa Indonesia course or test, but are required to follow the TPA and TOEFL test in accordance with the standards required (i.e. minimum TOEFL = 500).
- Conditions of acceptance for foreign students are in accordance with Rector’s regulations.
- Foreign students pay the highest financial administration to the study program concerned.
Should you have any difficulties in following the procedure or regarding the requirements, please do not hesitate to contact the Public Relation center of UNNES through email at: email@example.com
In particular for those who come from countries which need a calling visa for their citizens to stay in a long term in Indonesia. The process of admission will be different as the Ministry of Research Technology and Higher Education will require more documents and longer time to process the application of study permission. We are open for further discussion about this case through email.